Monday, July 4, 2011

How to Host a "What Would You Do For a Klondike Bar" Party



My friend Maryam asked me to guest post at her blog while she was on maternity leave. This is the result. Happy 4th of July, all!

Hey Pamplemousse1983 readers, this is Holly from So Dang Brilliant, a blog that documents my studies of quantum mechanics and Latin-based mysteries (or just the life and times of a crafty and pop culture-loving mama). I am thrilled that Maryam asked me to contribute to her blog while she spends time snuggling with Margaux; her blog has been my new obsession recently! The Teeny Tutorials she posts have inspired me to make a zombie lima bean and a Jay Leno version of my son. I think I'll leave the artsy DIYs to Maryam, though!

My favorite pastime (and something I am actually good at!) is putting together quirky parties for my family and friends to attend. Sometimes the theme is loose, like "Potluck Dessert Dinner," or the theme is extremely specific, like my annual award show parties. My only goals for any party I throw are that it is low stress for me and high fun for everyone.

I am going to share with you a recent party I threw that was inspired by that delicious ice cream bar, Klondike. The classic Klondike bar commercial asks, "What Would You Do for a Klondike Bar?" I bet everyone reading this could even sing the jingle -- it's catchy! So, what better way to get your friends to do silly things in public than to offer them the same challenge? Here are some steps for a low-key and hilarious party.


How to Host a "What Would You Do for a Klondike Bar" Party

1. Invite all of your favorite friends over to your place. When they arrive, have them write their names on small pieces of paper and put them in a bowl. Here, my cousin Ben and my sister Julie are using High School Musical 3 pens to write their names -- classy!



2. When everyone has arrived, have each guest pull a name from the bowl. Allow five minutes for each guest to contemplate a personalized dare for their victim; this is the perfect time to get your friend to do your favorite impersonation, crazy dance move, or Shakespearean monologue. My cousin Cari drew my name, which she apparently thought was a bad choice.


3. One by one, each person tells their victim which dare they would like them to perform. Julie had to draw a portrait of her husband with her mouth, Cari had to balance three toys on her head for thirty seconds, and my friend Kileen had to do somersaults across the living room. And those were the tame ones! To see what Cari dared me to do, head over to my blog and enjoy the humiliation.




4. When each victim performs their task, they receive their Klondike bar. As they say, to the victor goes the spoils. If there are kids in attendance, you can let them have a Klondike just because they're cute. Kileen's daughter Aurora is basking in the glow of delicious vanilla ice cream covered in chocolate!


My two party goals were met. All I had to do to get ready for the party was buy Klondike bars and cut up paper for drawing names. And everyone had an intensely good time; we are all still talking about the ridiculous things we did for that delicious treat!

Do you like throwing parties, too? Are you into more formal affairs -- black tie and pinkies in the air? Or would you do absolutely nothing for a Klondike bar? Let me know in the comments!

And congratulations to my friend Maryam!

No comments:

Post a Comment