Friday, February 22, 2013

Pop Culture Love: Frank Ocean

Loving 2012's breakout hip-hop star Frank Ocean is not new or unique on the Internet.

My late entry into the world of his album "Channel Orange" is only rectified by one thing: I have primarily listened to it (over and over) on the hour-long round trip to my weekly therapy appointments. I believe Frank Ocean would approve.

My favorite track of the album is a gem called "Thinkin Bout You"—a slow-pulsing jam about ex-love and his former lover's low self-esteem. The hook is five notes long, but it runs through my head all day and all night.



With lyrics like, "No, I don't like you, I just thought you were cool/Enough to kick it/Got a beach house I could sell you in Idaho/Since you think I don't love you, I just thought you were cute/That's why I kiss you," how can you say no? My ideal lover is definitely someone who is crazy about me, but isn't afraid to tease me for my blonder moments.

And on a purely platonic level, this song makes me think about all of the people in my life who haven't felt deserving of my esteem. I have a strong passion about interpersonal relationships; when I feel connected to someone, it is almost tangible for me. I talked more about this feeling a couple of years ago, when I confessed that I think about all of my past friends all of the time

No comments:

Post a Comment