Monday, October 29, 2012

The First Dentist Trip is the Worst


I imagine that by the time you read this, little Jacko's face will look something like this.

No, not blue and metallic, but rather displeased as all get out.

Jacko has to have two pulpotomies this morning, which are essentially children's root canals. His back molars are utterly trashed and there are three additional cavities in other teeth. As my father puts it, "He got the family's bad teeth." Oh, yes he did.

He will be put under nitrous oxide and distracted by a movie on the dentist's ceiling. My faith in Jack is strong, but I myself am feeling rather anxious about it. How am I supposed to let him know that this is a good thing—it's going to feel so terrible for him!

When I was a child, I had to have all of my baby teeth manually extracted at different times; none of them were ever loose enough to pull out. I know about devastating trips to the dentist as a child. If anything, being school-aged made me even more aware that having bad teeth sucks.

I hope Jacko is too young to remember what happens there.

Tell me your dentist horror stories!
Or maybe let's hear your dental triumphs!

No comments:

Post a Comment