Thursday, June 28, 2012

Pop Culture Love: Scripted Summer TV

In my last summer television post, I followed my heart and wrote about the shows that get me excited for summer.

After a thorough review, I realized that each of the shows I posted about were competitive reality shows. I brushed off the epiphany and kept chugging along. I like to see people win things, okay?

But after reading the book Top of the Rock: Inside the Rise and Fall of Must-See TV, I felt overwhelming guilt about my lack of scripted television. I am a fan of the TV medium, and I was loving the Cheers gang and the X-Files mysteries long before reality TV existed.

Scripted TV is the backbone of my TV love, so here are some summer shows to get excited about.

Source
Bunheads (ABC Family, Monday 8/7c) has shown only three episodes, and I am already in love with it. From the creator of Gilmore Girls, it focuses on former showgirl Michelle (broadway's Sutton Foster) and her acclimation to small-town life, including her dance teacher mother-in-law (Kelly Bishop). While it's still a bit rocky in the tone department, I am willing to give this show an entire season before expecting it to fully shine.

Source
Louie (FX, Thursday 10:30/9:30c) is a fictionalized version of comedian Louis CK's life; his stand-up routines are hilarious and relatable to those who are married (or divorced) with kids. Before you brush this show off as tame family fare, know that the gist of the show is darkly strange and hilariously edgy.

Source
How I Met Your Mother (CBS, Monday 8/7c) is not technically a summer show, but I have been catching up on the last two seasons through Netflix Instant. I tuned into this show on the advice of a friend, and he wasn't wrong that I would adore it. If Neil Patrick Harris' involvement doesn't sway you, then tune in for the fantastic ensemble connection and bizarre twists on sitcom tropes. But come on: Neil Patrick Harris? Sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment