Monday, October 24, 2011

SDB Interviews: Maryam of Pamplemousse1983

When you're in school, be it high school or college, you are often advised to get involved. Participation in extra-curricular activities have been shown to improve grades, provide life-long hobbies, and encourage social behaviors. After school, however, you have to find your own ways to get involved.

When I participated in the Summer Craft Camp put on by Red Velvet, I decided to be brave and get involved in the Live Chat they hosted. This chat offered a chance to ask the camp organizers questions and get to know the other "campers." Normally, I would be embarrassed to put myself, an uneasy crafter at best, out in the open to be discovered for the fraud I am! At that chat, I had a funny side conversation with a user named pamplemousse1983. She was joking that she and I should trade my baby and her doggies for awhile—we were each curious to see what the alternate life would bring us! After that exchange, I knew I had to get to know her better. I looked up her blog, Pamplemousse1983, and was so impressed! Maryam was artsy, fashionable, and insanely pretty.

I summoned up all of my courage and began commenting on her blog. Pretty soon she was commenting on my blog. Then we would have exchanges on Twitter. And that's when it occurred to me that we were friends! Yay!

But enough about me. Here is all about Maryam, in her own words.

My name is Maryam and I'm an Aries.
I like to take pictures.
I teach art at an Elementary School.  It's pretty much the best job ever.
I'm madly in love with my husband.
I am pregnant with my first child who is due in June.
I love my two doggies.
I like ice cream and big sunglasses.


Maryam is one cool dude. That's the only way I can describe her, because otherwise, she leaves me a little starstruck and speechless. Here is a portion of a conversation she and I had recently!


1. How would you describe your blog to a newcomer, and why did you start one at all?

I actually started my blog because a friend of mine started a blog and I didn't want to be left out, as lame as that sounds. I think my blog is a little bit crafty, a little bit foodie and a little bit baby-tastic


2. I have always wondered how you got into art and how you decided to make it your profession. So many people shy away from it because it's "not practical."

I've always loved art; it's always been my favorite thing. When I got to college, I had trouble deciding what I wanted to do. I took a lot of art classes while I was trying to figure it out; it kind of dawned on me that I should just major in art education. Duh, right?

I didn't get as far as getting my art education degree, though; I grew impatient and switched to photography since I had a ton of photo classes. The art education degree would have taken me an extra year to complete. I regret not doing it now, but hindsight is 20/20, you know? 


3. You aren't teaching anymore now that Margaux is in the picture. Are you having a hard time adjusting to being home all of the time? 

No, I love being home. I used to work as an insurance adjuster before I became a teacher, and I hated it. I eventually quit before finding a teaching job, and those 3 months of unemployment were the greatest. Everyone was telling me how I would get bored and wish I had a job. Yeah, that never happened—I can always find ways to occupy my time.


4. You have mentioned on your blog that your husband works from home; what are the pros and cons of that for you?

The pros are that if I really needed him to watch Margaux for a minute or two he could do it; he also helps around the house. His job is pretty easygoing so he's flexible. The cons would be that sometimes it's hard to remember he IS working and he can't just leave or be available at all times. We're working on putting his "office" in the guest room. Right now, we have both our computers in the den and it connects to the kitchen, so it's kind of a big open space.


5. Last question: How are you constantly kicking my trash on Words With Friends? How do you have such a great vocabulary?

I have loved to read since I was a little kid! :)

****************************************************************

Thanks so much to Maryam for letting me gush over her!

Check out Maryam at all of these fancy places:

No comments:

Post a Comment