Friday, October 21, 2011

Finish Line Friday: California Junior Scholarship Federation Medal

I never played sports. Say what you will about me, but I have never had the capacity to be an athlete.

Anecdote:
Frisbee has always been difficult for me. I have never been able to get the disc to fly straight. After an energetic game of 500 a few years ago, I was diagnosed with my frisbee-throwing disease: my large chest made me unable to get my arm around to even the throwing plane. I may have thrown a frisbee since then, but I doubt it.


But dash it all if I wasn't a great student. In middle school, if you got a particularly high GPA each semester, you were in the California Junior Scholarship Federation or CJSF. At the eighth grade awards you were awarded a medal to commemorate your great academic achievement. Boom baby, there's my medal. It's not an Olympic sports medal, but it's mine.

3 comments:

  1. i think i have a medal like this somewhere in my life. or maybe they downgraded it to a lapel pin when i finished middle school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, AND we got to go to DISNEYLAND!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! I remember Disneyland! And I have a memory from the awards ceremony. We each walked across the stage and then had to stand on the risers. My mom said that you were one of the first kids called up (b/c your last name started with a C), and when you got to your place on the risers, you smiled the whole time, until the very last person (who would it have been--the Wilson twins?) was in place. She thought you were darling. And let's be honest: you are!

    ReplyDelete