Thursday, April 7, 2011

Fancy Ear Folds of the Flanagans

I fell in love with my husband the way most people fall in love with their partners: romantic evenings together, laughing hysterically over small things, delicious food shared between us. I mean, there were lots of other things that happened, too, but those are the ooey-gooey details that most people fawn over. I love him very much and this last year has been a reawakening for me about how perfect he makes life for me.

For those who know me, that kind of talk may seem a little strange. For those who don't (yet), suffice it to say that I, as a 26-year-old woman, still close my eyes during kissing scenes in movies. I just don't like the PDA, alright? There is a method to this madness, however. I need to underscore how much I adore my husband before I say this:

He tricked me into marrying him so he could reproduce his alien race.

There, I said it. The secret is out, and I no longer have to deny that I have fallen in love with an extra terrestrial. I didn't notice the most overt evidence that we are not of the same species until after we had already sealed the deal. Behind his ears, Caleb has these gill-like ear folds that are both incredibly cute and incurably odd. Here is photographic evidence #1:


That would be the end of the story, but we have two wee children who have followed in his odd aural footsteps. Jack's ears aren't as pronounced, but he has an unearthly strength that suggests he is not human.



And Lucy is still growing into her ears, but one cannot pretend that there isn't something funky going on back there.


I love them all just as much as I would if we shared the same home world. Plastic surgery works on a lot of different types of people, right?

1 comment: