Tuesday, June 5, 2012

He Must Have One of Those Faces You Can't Help Believing

Source

 I was this close to being in a scary movie this morning.

While driving Caleb to the train station this morning, I noticed a kind-looking young man carrying a duffel bag and a water jug, walking along the side of the road. He had a serene facial expression and a confident saunter. For some reason, he was memorable to me.

After dropping Caleb off, I doubled back the way I came. Retracing my path meant that I came across that guy once again. From the back, I could still see the happiness radiating off of him. My first thought was:

I wonder where he is going, and if he would like a ride there. I have an empty passenger seat he could fill.

And right after that thought, my brain told me this:

ARE YOU SMOKING?! YOU NEVER OFFER A RIDE TO STRANGERS, ESPECIALLY WITH YOUR CHILDREN IN THE CAR!!!!!!!!

I drove right past that young man, wondering if he would have accepted the not-offered ride or if he would have had the common sense to decline. Maybe his stranger danger mechanism was fully functioning. He looked like the kind of guy who would have politely refused, with extra sugar on top.

I don't know what drew me to him. But I definitely know what repelled me: obviousness.

Have any of your good intentions clouded your good sense?
Are you someone who will give a stranger a ride?
Was it a good experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment