Monday, May 2, 2011

A Small Note on Current Events

On the inauguration day of President Barack Obama, I tweeted:

So in love with my baby boy and President Obama. 2009 is going to be a great year!

Jack wasn't even a month old, and he sat with me while we watched the newly-minted president get sworn in. While I am not trying to push politics on anyone (since I know I hate getting them pushed on me!), I think it is important to note that anyone who holds the office of the President of the United States deserves respect and at least a little admiration for dealing with the stresses and important decisions the highest office in the land presents. I did vote for Barack Obama. I did not care for President Bush's politics in general, but I am glad that he started the search for Osama bin Laden in a time of national uncertainty and fear.

I say all of this because my first notice that Osama bin Laden was killed yesterday was a text message from my sister-in-law Britni, saying "Turn on CNN! Obama is dead!"

I was lucky to be sitting on the ground at the time, because even then I had to grab my friend Kelsae's hand to steady myself. Caleb rushed to turn on the television. I cowered, while thoughts of the who/why/how of the president's death raced through my head. As we landed on the first channel that would carry such breaking news, it was discovered that it was actually Osama who was dead, not Obama. The entire room heaved a collective sigh and were glad that such a heinous man was no longer alive. We debated whether or not the shouting and cheering being shown was necessary, we talked about how long almost ten years since 9/11 has felt, and we began to talk about some of the larger ideologies of American politics.

After the news sank in, I realized that President Obama symbolizes something much more to me than the general ideas of America or Powerful or Democrat. Because he was elected president not long before I had my first child, Barack Obama is part of what was a whole new beginning in my life. If he really had been killed, my feelings of loss would have been quite deep, but also quite selfish.

This American victory also runs quite deeply in my heart. I am proud of the armed forces who have been fighting for my freedoms since bin Laden ordered the attacks on my country. I am inspired by the long-suffering families of military men and women. I am glad that President Obama is alive, and I am glad that I am alive.

1 comment:

  1. When you grabbed my hand I was thinking "Wow, so this is where I was when President Obama was assassinated... holding Holly's hand. Nice."

    ReplyDelete